The Post Baccalaureate (Graduate) Certificate in Fundamentals of Survey Methodology is designed for the working professional whose education omitted courses in the field of survey methodology. Both domestic U.S. and international students are welcome to apply. The program is a short but comprehensive treatment of the field at an introductory fundamental level. Courses cover key core areas of survey methodology, from the design of surveys to the data collection methods, and to the analysis of the survey data. The program is taught at the graduate level but is significantly less intensive than the onsite M.S. program in survey methodology offered by JPSM.
The program provides training in areas needed to professionally design and execute surveys of households, business establishments, institutions, and other populations. Students will learn the construction of questionnaires that reliably measure desired concepts, use of computer assistance in data collection, how different modes of data collection can be used to improve survey data, cognitive psychological applications to survey measurement, and methods of non-sampling error reduction. Students will also learn how to analyze survey data properly reflecting the complex survey design features.
The certificate will require a total of 12 credits. Online courses are held on a semester schedule.
Students admitted to the certificate program can take up to 6 credits a term. The expectation is that students would complete the program in 18 months, or less.
Students will participate in the online courses using their own computers, providing flexibility for working professionals. The lectures will be recorded and accompanied by real time, weekly online office hours or discussion sessions.
- Recorded lecture material will be posted online at a pre-specified time each week.
- Students will be required to view the class within a set period (usually one week) and are required to submit regular homework assignments.
- Mandatory online discussions hosted by the instructor will be used for answering questions and reviewing material presented in lectures.
Required Courses (7 credits)
SURV 400 - Fundamentals of Survey and Data Science (3 credits)
SURV 626 - Sampling I (2 credits)
SURV 631 - Questionnaire Design (2 credits)
At least two (2) credits from the following list:
SURV 623 Data Collection Methods in Survey Research (3 credits)
SURV 627 Experimental Design for Surveys (2 credits)
SURV635 Usability Testing for Survey Research (1 credit)
SURV656 Web Survey Methodology (2 credits)
SURV 702 Analysis of complex Survey Data (2 credits)
SURV 747 Practical Tools for Sampling (2 credits)
SURV 748 Practical Tools for Weighting (1 credit)
An additional three (3) credits of elective online SURV courses numbered 620 or above, including those listed above.
Applicants must meet the following minimum admission criteria as established by the Graduate School:
- Applicants must have earned a four-year baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution, or an equivalent degree from a non-U.S. institution.
- Applicants must have earned a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) in all prior undergraduate and graduate coursework.
- Applicants must provide an official copy of a transcript for all of their post-secondary work.
- International students must fulfill all requirements relating to international academic credentials, evidence of English proficiency, and financial certification. Since the students will not have to enter the U.S., visas will not be required. These requirements are found at the Graduate School's Web site.
The application for the JPSM Graduate Certificate in Fundamentals of Survey Methodology can be found on the University of Maryland Graduate School website.
The Graduate School program code for this certificate is Z127.
Completing the Application for Graduation Form:
You will need to complete the Application for Graduation Form and submit it to the Graduate School by the deadline during the semester in which you are taking the last course requirements. In the drop down menu on the fillable pdf form, the program code is as follows:
- Program Code Z127- Graduate Certificate in Fundamentals of Survey Methodology
When you submit your application for Graduation form to diploma [at] umd [dot] edu please also cc jpsm-contact [at] umd [dot] edu so that JPSM has a copy for our records.
|1 Credit||2 Credits||3 Credits|
|Distance Learning Fee/academic semester||$100||$100||$100.00|
|Application Fee (One time)||$75||$75||$75.00|
Note: These amounts are subject to change as per University of Maryland policies.