The The Post Baccalaureate (Graduate) Certificate in Fundamentals of Survey and Data Science prepares students to be data-centric research professionals, ready to use new technologies and methodologies to improve the quality of social and statistical data. In the program, students receive technical training about how to collect, manipulate, and analyze data to answer a research question. With its unique focus on surveys, this data science program provides students with the skills and knowledge necessary to successfully lead projects and efforts that involve data from both surveys and non-traditional Big Data sources. Students obtain a certificate by completing nine (8) credits of required courses and three (4) credits of electives. It is expected that students do this in two years or less. The courses are fully online and come from the growing catalog of courses offered through the Master of Professional Studies in Survey and Data Science. Both domestic U.S. and international students are welcome to apply.
The certificate will require a total of 12 credits. Online courses are held on a semester schedule.
Students admitted to the certificate program can take up to 6 credits a term. The expectation is that students would complete the program in 18 months, or less.
Students will participate in the online courses using their own computers, providing flexibility for working professionals. The lectures will be recorded and accompanied by real time, weekly online office hours or discussion sessions.
- Recorded lecture material will be posted online at a pre-specified time each week.
- Students will be required to view the class within a set period (usually one week) and are required to submit regular homework assignments.
- Mandatory online discussions hosted by the instructor will be used for answering questions and reviewing material presented in lectures.
Required Courses (8 credits)
● SURV400 Fundamentals of Survey and Data Science (3 credits)
● SURV751 Introduction to Big Data and Machine Learning (1 credit)
● SURV673 Python/SQL (1 credit)
● SURV736 Web Scraping and APIs (1 credit)
● SURV752 Introduction to Data Visualization (1 credit)
● SURV624 Privacy Law (1 credit)
● An additional four (4) credits of elective online SURV courses numbered 620 or above,
in particular from those listed below:
● SURV725 Item Nonresponse & Imputation (1 credit)
● SURV726 Multiple Imputation (1 credit)
● SURV730 Measurement Modeling Error (1 credit)
● SURV703 Computer-Based Content Analysis I (1 credit)
● SURV704 Computer-Based Content Analysis II (1 credit)
● SURV665 Intro to Real World Data Management (1 credit)
● SURV699J GLM – Data Analysis (2 credits)
Applicants must meet the following minimum admission criteria as established by the Graduate School:
- Applicants must have earned a four-year baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution, or an equivalent degree from a non-U.S. institution.
- Applicants must have earned a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) in all prior undergraduate and graduate coursework.
- Applicants must provide an official copy of a transcript for all of their post-secondary work.
- International students must fulfill all requirements relating to international academic credentials, evidence of English proficiency, and financial certification. Since the students will not have to enter the U.S., visas will not be required. These requirements are found at the Graduate School's Web site.
The application for the JPSM Graduate Certificate in Fundamentals of Survey and Data Science can be found on the University of Maryland Graduate School website.
The Graduate School program code for this certificate is Z129.
Completing the Application for Graduation Form:
You will need to complete the Application for Graduation Form and submit it to the Graduate School by the deadline during the semester in which you are taking the last course requirements. In the drop down menu on the fillable pdf form, the program code is as follows:
- Program Code Z129- Graduate Certificate in Fundamentals of Survey and Data Science
When you submit your application for Graduation form to diploma [at] umd [dot] edu please also cc jpsm-contact [at] umd [dot] edu so that JPSM has a copy for our records.
|1 Credit||2 Credits||3 Credits|
|Distance Learning Fee/academic semester||$100||$100||$100.00|
|Application Fee (One time)||$75||$75||$75.00|
Note: These amounts are subject to change as per University of Maryland policies.