Dear UMD JPSM Community,
I stand in solidarity with Dean Ball, President Loh, and Chancellor Perman in seeking justice and racial equality, in condemning the recent murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Tony McDade, Ahmaud Arbery, and Rayshard Brooks, and in acknowledgement of the structural racism that is taking the lives of our fellow citizens. As members of a public university that believes in humanity, justice, and opportunity for all, we must help end inequity and promote social justice.
I encourage all of us to check in on our friends, neighbors, colleagues, and students who might be particularly affected by the recent events. The University is providing a number of resources to students, staff, and faculty, many of which can be accessed through the University’s Office of Diversity and Inclusion.
Below are specific campus resources for ongoing support and engagement as listed in President Loh’s statement (linked above).
Professor and Director, Joint Program in Survey Methodology
Resources for the UMD Community:
• If you are interested in being in community with others, to process the pain, exhaustion, and fear, email the Office of Diversity and Inclusion at DiverseTerps [at] umd [dot] edu (DiverseTerps@umd)
• If you seek individual support, email Dr. Chetan Joshi, director of the Counseling Center, at cajoshi [at] umd [dot] edu (cajoshi@umd)
• If you seek spiritual support, email Campus Chaplain Holly Ulmer at ulmer [at] umd [dot] edu (ulmer@umd) and she will connect you to other campus chaplains as needed.
• If you are interested in reading White Fragility or Me & White Supremacy, and discussing it with members of the community and leaders from embraceRace@umd, email Student Affairs at vpsa [at] umd [dot] edu (vpsa@umd)
• If you are interested in working with your leadership team, unit, department or division to strengthen cultural competency, and engage in doing the work, email Dr. Carlton Green, director of Diversity Training and Education, at cegreen [at] umd [dot] edu (cegreen@umd)
• If you want to connect with and/or receive support from leaders within our Nyumburu Center, email director Dr. Ron Ziegler at nyumbz [at] umd [dot] edu (nyumbz@umd)
• If you are a member of a cultural student organization, and want to be in community with others, email Brandon Dula, assistant director of Multicultural Involvement and Community Advocacy (MICA) at bdula [at] umd [dot] edu (bdula@umd)
• If you have concerns or questions about current policies that could negatively impact you and members of your community, email Dr. Andrea Goodwin, director of Student Conduct, at agoodwin [at] umd [dot] edu (agoodwin@umd)
• If you would like to know more about our University of Maryland Police Department and its policies and protocols, email Chief David Mitchell at UMPDchief [at] umpd [dot] umd [dot] edu